Jody's Garden

Jody's Garden
"No Worries"................. On a Sunset Cruise off Na Pali.................. "You can click on the picture for a tour of what we saw and the fun we had..............." (If you are new to my blog, I post the most recent news or event first (or on top). If you are trying to catch up, you may want to start with my older posts first by clicking on the "Blog Archive" and choosing a title)

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Day Plus Twenty-Five

I am quickly running out of expletives... WONDER WOMAN! They call her WONDER WOMAN...
Its a bird, Its a plane... no its Jody "Wonder Woman"
I am not quite sure of how the similarities work. Its not the chest... Its not the hair... No comment about the body... Oh well, I think I just like the metaphor... WONDER WOMAN!

When Jody entered the hospital 31 days ago; before the chemo started,  her ANC was 7035, White Blood (WBC) 10.5, HCT 27.8 and platelets were at 261. Today Jody's ANC is 5084, WBC 6.2, HCT 26.2 and platelets are now at 186. Jody is 28% away from being back to where she was before she entered the hospital. In addition, Jody has not been able to make her own red blood cells in over two years. The fact that Jody's system has been able to raise her HCT from 24.6 to 26.2 indicates her donors stem cells are working. HCT will always fluctuate, but in the past Jody's fluctuation has always been down or up .1 or .2 never up a full point. Jody is not normal yet (normal is 40.0 to 54.0), but she is certainly headed in the right direction.

We are preparing to check out of the hospital tomorrow. The nurses have trained me in how to maintain her CV port, gone over all the do's and don'ts, and have gone over GvH symptoms. Tomorrow we will meet with the pharmacist to learn about all her medications and interactions. Jody's case worker has contacted the home nursing and has everything is setup for their first visit when we arrive home on Monday. As I reported to you earlier, I have had the house professionally cleaned and I have gone through the refrigerator and pantry for expired food and thrown out anything that had been opened.

I spent the night last night and I am going to go home and return later today. Jody wants me to be here for all the check out instructions. So I will probably end it for today.

Love you all... Feel free to call or write Jody today, she is in doing great and loves to hear from you....

5 comments:

  1. Ray Rodriguez and Michael Roberts-RodriguezAugust 22, 2010 at 11:56 AM

    Hi Jody and Tom,
    I remember when Jody was on Match.com trying to match her self up with someone and it ended up being you Tom. Before we knew it, you two were dating and then married. You only live two doors down from us and have been friends with Jody for more than four years. I know that may not seem long to some people but it is a friendship that we will cherish for the rest of our lives. We love you Jody and know you will pull through to a full recovery. We look forward to seeing you daily working in your garden and see it grow and watching you grow into healthy human being. Love you.
    Ray and Mike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK before you add up the dog votes. I love bulldogs (especially puppies) but I'd need a walking pup and that would be the Springer. But as you already know my real choice wasn't up on the board.

    Yeah red blood cells! I always took them for granted, but no more. I have found the importance of the numbers, throughout this ordeal, to be so fascinating as well as confusing. Thank goodness Tom is such a good translator.

    I hope it is a beautiful day to travel home and to kick back and relax. Remember that final word...relax! Love u both. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can't believe they are letting you out tomorrow. You were the model patient. I am not surprised you are such a rule follower!!! Is there anything I can send you that you might need at home? I have to tell Tom that I am more of a bulldog fan. Sorry, I don't know much about your beloved springers, so my opinion is just on looks and character. En away, I had to throw that in..... I wanted to say congrats on your impending departure from the hospital and let me know if you need anything, Love, Trudy & Derek

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Doesn't the time fly when you're having fun? :-) Seems like you just got settled in (I know, I know - it certainly doesn't seem that way to you). I know how much you enjoy being in your own home, so am sure tomorrow will be a big, big day for you! What a great job you have done (both of you) in this battle. I don't mean that it's over, but you sure have passed some pretty important tests, and jumped the high hurdles. The "Wonder Woman" tag certainly fits. You go girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Ray And Mike... We'll be home soon...

    OK Chris... thanks for your vote, but since you love bull dogs and voted for the springer we will not count your vote... the decision is final.

    Trudy and Derick... Great! I will put you down for two votes on the bull dog....

    Marilyn, Not sure if Jody can fit into the outfit, but she is a wonder gal...

    Love all you guys!

    ReplyDelete