Jody's Garden

Jody's Garden
"No Worries"................. On a Sunset Cruise off Na Pali.................. "You can click on the picture for a tour of what we saw and the fun we had..............." (If you are new to my blog, I post the most recent news or event first (or on top). If you are trying to catch up, you may want to start with my older posts first by clicking on the "Blog Archive" and choosing a title)

Monday, July 19, 2010

Week Fifteen

OK! so it is week fifteen... The only thing medically planed is a "Caregiver" class on Tuesday, a CBC on Wednesday... Oh yes! and another haircut on Friday.

I have lots to tell you... Last week, on Friday the BMT team was supposed to meet and decide on the treatment schedule and get back to us. Also the donor's blood was being tested and crossed matched with Jody's blood samples (see "Week Twelve"). Well, the cross-match happened but the meeting did not. So the meeting was re-scheduled for this week.

The donor's blood was cross-matched with Jody's to be sure there were not any surprises as well as tested for any disease. We have not heard if there were any problems, but no word is good. We are planning to call on Monday.

OK, so Sunday was kind of a kick-back day... we did nothing after Kim left.

Monday, I busted my butt to catch up on all the paper work. I want to have the desk clean on all the co-pay claims submitted and hospital bills paid. I was so successful at catching up that I crashed on Tuesday. I felt like blah... I woke up early as usual with Jody, got dressed, eat some breakfast, and laid back in bed until I had to get up to go to the "Caregivers" class.

Pam Menzer (a fellow flight attendant), who came out to Denver with Jody back in 2006 along with our neighbors Michael Roberts-Rodriguez and his partner Ray Rodriguez have agreed to assist me as a caregiver for Jody. We all, including Jody went to the caregiver class at the Rocky Mountain Bone Marrow Transplant clinic. We learned what would be expected of us and all the support that was available to us. Following the meeting Jody and I took them (including Pam's husband, Rob) out to dinner at the "Twisted Olive". Taking care of Jody will have to be a team effort, and I have a great team willing to help.

Wednesday morning we had our weekly CBC at RMCC. Her HCT and Hemoglobin had dropped to borderline needing a transfusion. (I will not bore you with the numbers, but her ability to carry oxygen is getting weaker) After some discussion it was decided that we needed to hold off as long as we could. Getting blood transfusions increases Ferritin and weakens her liver's ability to process toxins.

We came home to find a beautiful flower arrangement at our door. The flowers were a gift to us from Jody's friends Carolyn and Alma (see "Week Eight and Nine"). The flowers were from their favorite flower shop in Kauai. Jody is giving the Hawaiian sign for "no worries". Thank you Carolyn and Alma, we both love you!

Jody and I also received the "Schedule". I will explain the "Schedule" in a separate post.

On Thursday we decided to have a picnic in the park. There is a park near the hospital where Jody will receive her transplant called "City Park". It has a fountain near the Natural History Museum and a beautiful lake. We have a park bench we like to sit at and watch the geese, ducks and people.

On this day we packed our lunch and a bottle of wine, found a shade tree to sit under, and enjoyed the entire day with nothing to do. We arrived at the park around noon and did not get home until after seven. We held each other, read our books, cried a little and talked a lot. Oh yeah, and took a little nap and thoroughly enjoyed the day relaxing together.
As I mentioned at the top of this post Friday was "Haircut" day. We had several errands to run... like BUY ALL THE BIRTHDAY CARDS SHE WILL NEED THROUGH THE REST OF THE YEAR. I think everyone knows she rarely misses your birthday. So this obviously had to go on the Hallmark easy payment plan... just kidding.

To the left is the team of professionals, (left to right) Mollee is the pedicurist/manicurist and Joy is the hair stylist and in the middle you have Jody with the completed hair style. I did not get a picture of the feet, not that I did not try. They both have become very dear friends and have helped Jody transition to short hair. Thank you Joy and Mollee.

Of course I had to get my haircut too! So here we are, the almost bald couple.











Saturday, we decided to go out for dinner. So Jody  put on her new "Cold Water Creek" orange dress, matching jacket, ear rings, necklace and of course shoes (you know how women are) and went to Maggiano's Little Italy restaurant. We both enjoyed Bruschetta and Mussels Tuscany along with our cocktails. For dinner she had the Lobster Spaghetti special with Ziti noodles in place of the spaghetti (she does not do well twirling spaghetti) and I had Veal Picatta and capers. After desert and a bottle of wine we were in heaven.








Below I have a picture of us at the restaurant. What a couple!  

1 comment:

  1. Jody and Tom,

    Linda and I are with you in spirit and in prayer.
    "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." 1 Peter 5:7

    Kindest Regards,

    K.G.

    p.s. Tom, the short hair makes you look younger....

    ReplyDelete