Jody's Garden

Jody's Garden
"No Worries"................. On a Sunset Cruise off Na Pali.................. "You can click on the picture for a tour of what we saw and the fun we had..............." (If you are new to my blog, I post the most recent news or event first (or on top). If you are trying to catch up, you may want to start with my older posts first by clicking on the "Blog Archive" and choosing a title)

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Day Plus Ninety-Four

Good Morning everyone!

Today is Saturday, October Thirtieth. Yesterday, Jody had a small setback. Let me immediately say Jody is doing fine, now you can read on.

The last two weeks have been a challenge for Jody. We had just ended a regiment of steroids to fight her GVHD (Graft vs Host Disease). (I first spoke about GVHD on "Day Plus Thirty-Two"... ) On "Day Plus Forty-One" I mentioned in my post Jody had begun taking a steroid for a skin rash she had on her legs. The treatment or regiment last for several weeks slowly lowering the dosage every couple of days. On the Sixteenth of October ("Day Plus Eighty") Jody ended the steroid treatment. Wednesday her appetite began to diminish and she became a little depressed mostly because she was not feeling as energetic. The doctors had told us to expect it when she stopped the steroid treatment, because the steroid acts as a stimulant. Doctor Gregory gave Jody a prescription to fight the depression. The medicine only deepened Jody's funk and we stopped taking the drug on Monday "Day Plus Eighty-Seven", mostly because I could not take Jody's attitude any longer. The following six days continued to drag by and I do mean "DRAG". On Thursday I was convinced we needed to go to the clinic, but Jody insisted she was OK. "I do not want to go, besides we have an appointment tomorrow, I am fine!" Jody and I decided (with some strong encouragement from me) to go to the movie "Secretariat" and it seemed to perk her up a little. After the movie our neighbors, Mike and Ray invited us to their house for dinner on Friday. She became more talkative and I thought maybe it was more depression than anything wrong. When we arrived home Jody became more lethargic, almost inebriated like as she moved around. She proclaimed to me she was not eating dinner, to which I replied it was not an option. "You will eat something." She grudgingly eat a cut up hot dog and some cheese crackers.

"Day Plus Ninety-Three" I woke Jody up about seven-o'clock. Our clinic appointment was at nine-thirty. Since our last visit on Tuesday, "Day Plus Ninety" Jody had been complaining about a pain in her back up near her clavicle area. This particular morning she was complaining it had spread across her back. I had to help her out of bed and into the bathroom, where she showered and began to primp herself to get ready for our clinic visit. I brought her some coffee and a peanut butter bagel and she appeared to be moving better, so I left her for awhile. When I returned she was on the floor of the bathroom.

We finally arrived at the clinic in time for our nine-thirty appointment. After a few pokes and prods by the nurses we waited for the Doctor Brunvand to stop in and see us. During the wait Jody had curled up on the bed and was dozing off. Doctor Brunvand arrived and told us the CBC looked great, but he was concerned about her pain. Her lethargy and staggering may be from dehydration. He wanted us to go to the hospital for some x-rays and return to the clinic for further consultation. Jody and I walked over to the hospital (the clinic is less than a block away) rather than drive and fight for a parking spot, besides the walk would do us good. On our return from the hospital to the clinic Jody had to stop and rest several times. I told Jody she needed to consider letting the doctor check her in the hospital for the weekend. (This suggestion was not going over well.)

Arriving back at the clinic, Jody again curled up on the bed and went to sleep. The doctor came in and talked with me about checking her into the hospital for observation. We both agreed it would be the best. Doctor Brunvand woke Jody and said he wanted to run some tests and begin another steroid treatment and felt it would be best that she went to the hospital. Jody protested, "I am fine!" to which the Doctor Brunvand replied... "I have been empowered by you and your husband to be sure you live another thirty years, and I feel a short stay in the hospital will be the best opportunity I have to ensure I meet my gaol. " Jody shrugged... "OK..." Jody and I waited for the doctor's orders and this time drove to the hospital.

We arrived at the hospital around five-o'clock. It was like "homecoming" all her favorite nurses were on duty. Jody settled in... After some more poking and prodding they announced she need to have a IV inserted. A less than perfect ending to an all ready lousy day. As everyone knows Jody does not like to see someone come at her with a needle, even her favorite nurse, Laura. The IV was being inserted to allow them to inject a contrast fluid into her blood stream. The contrast fluid would help them see during a "Cat-Scan" what was causing her muscle pain in her back. Doctor Brunvand wants to rule out another pulmonary embolism and pneumonia. (This morning Doctor Bearman confirmed there was no embolism or pneumonia... GREAT NEWS!)

This brings everyone up to date on what is happening. I will post more as we continue on our journey. I had been trying to post our progress weekly. I will now again try to make daily posts to keep you informed. I ask everyone to keep it on the bright side if you contact Jody. We have decided to call this hospital visit a "Tune-Up". She loves to hear from you so be sure to call, post a comment, email or write. Jody's hospital phone number is 303-839-6211. Again, please... no flowers, we do not know how long she will be in and she still can not be around live flowers with the possibility of mold or pollen.
"Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well. "
- Vincent van Gogh

No comments:

Post a Comment